Liane Moriarty is beloved for fiction that dives deep into the messy complexities of human relationships. With humour and heart, she explores the inner lives of flawed but sympathetic characters. Moriarty first gained acclaim for smash hit Big Little Lies, adapted into an Emmy-winning HBO series. But her widely appealing bibliography, including the popular Liane Moriarty books like The Husband’s Secret and What Alice Forgot, also shines in standalone triumphs. Through her memorable female protagonists, Moriarty tackles universal struggles with work, love, family and identity in a powerfully relatable way. She also pens the popular Nicola Berry Children’s Adventures. Moriarty’s vivid storytelling and unpredictable plotting hook readers while eliciting laughter, tears and empathy. Pick up one of her page-turners to get immersed in poignant journeys of self-discovery and connection.
Themes and Writing Style in Liane Moriarty’s Books
- Family dynamics – Complex parent-child relationships, sibling bonds, marriage struggles
- Female experience – Moriarty insightfully explores the inner lives of women at various life stages
- Secrets & lies – Characters concealing truths that eventually unravel
- Flawed yet relatable protagonists – Her main characters are imperfect but sympathetic
- Mystery & suspense – Page-turning, unpredictable plots that build intrigue
- Humour & wit – Clever observations about life and relationships that blend comedy into the drama
- Character-driven – Vivid, multifaceted characters are the heart of each story
- Multiple perspectives – Shifting viewpoints provide a fuller understanding of the characters
- Conversational tone – Dialogue-rich stories capture authentic back-and-forth banter
- Nuanced pace – She patiently develops characters before intensifying the drama
- Accessible prose – Straightforward plots unfurl through clear, engaging writing
- Surprising depth – Lighthearted stories reveal greater meaning upon reflection
- Strong sense of place – Thorough descriptions of each vivid setting
- Unexpected twists – Just when you think you know what’s next…she surprises you
Award Winning Liane Moriarty Books
1. Big Little Lies: (Unabridged edition)
The #1 New York Times bestseller Big Little Lies, one of the acclaimed Liane Moriarty books, follows three mothers whose lives unravel to the point of murder. Brilliantly exploring parents, children, marriage, and ex-husbands through witty drama and mystery, this addictive story tackles big issues with heart. Caroline Lee’s narration expertly captures each complex character.
2. What Alice Forgot: From the bestselling author of Big Little Lies, now an award-winning TV series
Alice wakes up after a gym accident believing she’s still 29, blissfully married and pregnant. In reality, she’s 39 with three kids and a failed marriage. As Alice attempts to piece together the past decade, Moriarty masterfully explores memory, identity and the power of motherhood through this witty, heartwarming story. Fans of thought-provoking narratives should delve into the engaging world of Liane Moriarty’s books.
3. The Husband’s Secret: (Unabridged edition)
A highly praised bestseller interweaving the lives of three women who uncover an explosive secret. Moriarty’s sharp observations about marriage, relationships, and ethics shine through the gripping drama. Caroline Lee’s stellar narration brings Cecilia, Tess, and Rachel vividly to life. Full of twists, laughs, and moving family perspectives, this engaging narrative is a testament to the compelling storytelling found in Liane Moriarty’s books.
4. The Last Anniversary: (Unabridged edition)
An absorbing tale combining family drama, romance, and mystery. When Sophie finds a mysterious abandoned baby, she uncovers secrets surrounding a decades-old murder. Caroline Lee’s narration draws you into the lives of sisters Connie and Rosemary, contrasting the idyllic Scribbly Gum Island with long-buried betrayals. This captivating narrative is reminiscent of the intricate storytelling found in Liane Moriarty’s books.
5. The Hypnotist’s Love Story: (Unabridged edition)
A quirky romantic comedy brimming with insight and emotion. Ellen is intrigued by Patrick but suspicious of his stalker ex-girlfriend. Through Ellen’s eyes, this story hilariously dissects relationships, psychology, and what “normal” means. Caroline Lee’s lively narrative hooks you with memorable characters. Fans of engaging and insightful storytelling should explore the world of Liane Moriarty’s books.
6. Three Wishes: (Unabridged edition)
A poignant novel following three sisters whose lives change after their mother’s death. Caroline Lee’s heartfelt narration navigates grief, family bonds, love and letting go through the lens of triplets with a special connection. Moriarty’s elegant prose and authentic characters deliver laughter and tears.
7. Nine Perfect Strangers: The No. 1 bestseller is now a major Amazon Prime series
Nine stressed city dwellers attend a 10-day health retreat that’s not what it seems. With tantalizing twists, Moriarty asks how far you’d go to transform yourself. Her witty, moving page-turner explores our quest for meaning amidst modern pressures. This captivating narrative reflects the thought-provoking storytelling found in Liane Moriarty’s books.
8. Apples Never Fall: The enthralling new page-turner from the author of Big Little Lies
A family’s sinister secrets emerge when retired tennis coaches Joy and Stan disappear within 4 days. As their adult children search for answers, decades of marriage are dissected. Signature Moriarty themes like family and what lies beneath the surface make this compulsively readable. Fans of intriguing family dramas with a depth of storytelling should explore the world of Liane Moriarty’s books.
Liane Moriarty’s bestselling books are available at WHSmith. She has sold over 20 million copies worldwide, cementing her status as a master storyteller. Fans of her engaging writing style may also enjoy novels by Jojo Moyes, Sally Hepworth, and Lucy Foley. Moriarty’s stories stay with you long after the last page, reminding us that while life is messy, small moments of joy and humour connect us all. Follow Savewithnerds for more information on Liane Moriarty’s books in order.